Please, Login!
  • No items in the cart.
View Cart
Subtotal: $0.00

Wat Phu Khao Thong

Wat Phu khao Thong or the Monastery of the Golden Mount is located off the city island in the plains 2 Km northwest of Ayutthaya in Phukhao Thong Sub-district. The monastery was built by King Ramesuan in 1395. The actual temple’s name refers to the high chedi on its north east side. At the time of construction of the monastery, this chedi was inexistent hence the temple probably had another name. In December 1568 a large Burmese army invaded Siam and positioned itself around Ayutthaya. The siege lagged on until 30 August 1569 and in the end the city fell through the treachery of Phya Chakri, a Siamese. The invading Burmese forces ransacked and plundered the city, dismantled the defenses and forcibly transported most of Ayutthaya’s population to Burma. King Bhureng Noung remained at Ayutthaya to witness the coronation of his vassal, Maha Thammaracha and started the building of a Mon-Burmese styled chedi to commemorate his victory over Ayutthaya. Bhureng Noung returned to Hongsawadi around the period that the chedi’s base was constructed. King Maha Thammaracha likely felt not too much excitement in continuing the construction of his neighbors’ victory monument and the Wat Phu Khao Thong chedi was never finalized.
Scroll to top