The chedi dominates Ayutthaya landscape and offers great views of the countryside west of the city.
Wat Phu Khao Thong (View Of Ayutthaya Landscape) :
Wat Phu khao Thong or the Monastery of the Golden Mount is located off the city island in the plains 2 Km northwest of Ayutthaya in Phu khao Thong Sub-district.
The monastery was built by King Ramesuan (r. 1369-1370 / 1388-1395) in 1395. The actual temple’s name refers to the high Buddhist chedi on its north east side. At the time of construction of the monastery, this chedi was nonexistent hence the temple probably had another name.
In December 1568 (Reign of King Mahin / r. 1568 – 1569) a large Burmese army invaded Siam and positioned itself around Ayutthaya. The siege lagged on until 30 August 1569 and in the end the city fell through the treachery of Phya Chakri, a Siamese.
The invading Burmese forces ransacked and plundered the city, dismantled the defenses and forcibly transported most of Ayutthaya’s population to Burma. King Bhureng Noung (brother in law of Tabengshwethi) remained at Ayutthaya to witness the coronation of his vassal, Maha Thammaracha (r. 1569-1590) and started the building of a Mon-Burmese styled chedi to commemorate his victory over Ayutthaya. Bhureng Noung returned to Hongsawadi around the period that the chedi’s base was constructed. King Maha Thammaracha likely felt not too much excitement in continuing the construction of his neighbors’ victory monument and the chedi was never finalized.
Prince Naresuan (r. 1590-1605) had a Thai style chedi built on top of the base in 1587 to commemorate Ayutthaya’s newly declared independence at Mueang Khreng in May 1584 and his victory over the Burmese.
King Boromakot (r. 1733 – 1758) had the chedi rebuilt in 1744 on a square pedestal with indented corners and niches on the four sides, running smoothly into an indented dome. This design can still be seen today.
In 1956, the government placed a golden ball, weighing 2,5 Kg on top of the chedi to celebrate the Buddhist religion’s 25th century.
Visitors can climb the Mon-Burmese styled base until the foot of the chedi, from which the surrounding rice fields and the town of Ayutthaya can be seen.
More photos Wat Phu Khao Thong here.
Our group trip photos in Instagram.